Wednesday, February 29, 2012

More Than a Day


More Than a Day

I have a special place in my heart for February 29, or Leap Day, or as it is most obscurely known Sadie Hawkins Day. Well not technically Sadie Hawkins day, for that is the invention sprung forth from the Li'l Abner comic strip, but it's equivalent, a day during which women may freely ask a man's hand in marriage and the refusal comes with a fine ranging from one pound, up through a new dress. While it is an amusing history, or folklore, my fondness for the day stems thusly. 
     In college I was in a music group we traveled about hither and yon' singing and such.  In my first year, both in college and the group, we had an engagement on February 29th which lasted the better part of the day. Having never given much thought to leap years in general, and being entirely ignorant of Sadie Hawkins day, I was highly amused to hear of the "tradition" associated with the holiday. We spent much of our down time thinking of scenarios and ways to get out of the whole matter, laughing and joking about the nature of a day allocated to the marriage rite. 
    The entire day was a pleasant affair, and upon our arrival home I was struck by the fact that I would never, likely, spend another Leap, Sadie Hawkins, February 29th with this group of people, and that the jokes we told are so inside that their only any good once every four years, and by then they're forgotten. By the time the calender synchronization came along again, we would be gone in all of our separate directions, and may not give leap day a nod. But I took this opportunity to give her one more nod.

Here's to you Sadie Hawkins
Here's to you Erin
Here's to Undivided Heart.

2 comments:

  1. <3 Undivided Heart. I miss those days...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in the Li'l Abner musical in highschool...I should show you those pictures...we may have chased men around in a Sadie Hawkins frenzy to caught them to marry. :) lol.

    ReplyDelete

I know you're thinking something. Share with the rest of the class.