Sunday, January 1, 2012

A New Year's Epilogue

Happy New  Year everyone.
I hope the lessons of the past are
feeding the hope of the upcoming year.

My life has been a little chaotic in the past few weeks. As a result I didn't bring the Christmas duel home like I'd wanted to. And I got a few messages from people asking if I really didn't like Christmas. So, I wanted to start off the new year with an open letter to Christmas.

Dear Christmas,

  So here's the thing. I don't exactly know where to start. I'll just come out with it. I'm sorry.
I went a little nuts during the whole, "MoTheThird vs. Christmas" thing. I mean, seriously, you're such a big deal and I kinda turned it all the wrong way. Everyone was hopping on the bell-jingling bandwagon, and when I tried to buck the trend, I got a little mean. I took aim at some bits which aren't so awesome, and caught a victim or two in the crossfire...my bad.

   'Cause even though Rudolph and Baby It's Cold Outside don't do much to model your finer points, I really do love your music. Even if I haven't popped one of your albums, or you haven't come by the house for months, I'll catch myself singing one of your greatest hits. So, I guess I could have been nicer and maybe toned down the vitriol on the songs.

  And really, when it comes down to it, you have a great heart. And in my determination to get caught in the hype, I lost track of that. The very reason people engage in the high impact shopping of "Black Friday" is the faces of the recipients on the lovely morning five weeks later. It may be  GIFTS GONE WILD!! But, it's still giving. So thanks for making that happen, too.

  From Advent candles, to carol singers, to decorating, to cookies, to staring at the tree with the ones you love, you give us a lot of great things to do, think about, see, and eat. So I really am sorry if I was mean. Thanks a bunch. And drop by next year. I'm not saying I won't give you a hard time. Just know that I mean well. Have a Happy New Year.

Sincerely, and Hopefully,
  MoTheThird

P.S. If you get a chance, though, can you work on, "I Saw Mommy..." A young woman I know spent her childhood thinking it was about an affair between the mom and Santa. Even now, I think she gives Santa the stink eye. I'm not sayin'. But I'm just sayin'.

2 comments:

  1. You are the best. :)Apology Accepted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "A young woman I know spent her childhood thinking it was about an affair between the mom and Santa."

    That was me too. Not that it kept me up nights--I wasn't worried about Santa cavorting with my mom, because I knew my parents were up late Christmas Eve wrapping the gifts they had bought for us over the past few months of evening and weekend shopping ventures.

    Another misconception we were talking about last night at a new year's party: was anyone else let down the first time they stayed up to "watch the ball drop," only to discover that the ball simply slides down the pole, instead of dropping a hundred stories and smashing into a bazillion pieces in the middle of Times Square?

    ReplyDelete

I know you're thinking something. Share with the rest of the class.